In the latest coronavirus tests in the Premier League, two new positive cases have been confirmed in two separate clubs raising the overall total to eight

Squads began non-contact training from Tuesday for the first time since the Premier League was suspended on 13 March with 92 fixtures to go.

The first round’s results announced on 19th May saw six positives from three clubs of 748 players and staff.

The number of positives included Watford’s Adrian Mariappa and Burnley’s assistant manager, Ian Woan.

On Tuesday, Thursday and Friday last week, Premier League conducted the second-round coronavirus tests. The number of tests available in this round was increased from 40 to 50. Out of the 996 players and club staff, two positive cases have been confirmed from two separate clubs.

The third round of tests is due to take place next Monday and Tuesday ahead of a key vote on Wednesday over contact training, subject to government approval.

Players question the government on BAME risks

Watford captain, Troy Deeney and former Arsenal striker, Ian Wright were among those who questioned officials over the added dangers COVID-19 might pose to blacks, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) players.

The Office for National Statistics says black men and women are nearly twice likely to doe from coronavirus as white people in England and Wales.

Hornets forward, Deeney and Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante opted to stay away from club training this week as precautionary measures.

In a “frank and open” online meeting, medical experts were asked to quantify risks. Deeney and Wright who were joined in the online forum by Newcastle striker, Shola Ameobi, and former Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo, were told that the risk among young and healthy footballers was low.

However, concerns were also raised about passing the infection on to family members. The PFA, which was also in attendance has asked for more research to be conducted into the BAME issue.