The champion finished the first match of the season with a victory at ‘Anfield.’ Salah doubled up with Leeds and gave Klopp’s team 3 points.
Liverpool and Leeds met in the first round of the English Premier League. After a 16-year pause, Leeds managed to return to the Premier League and offered us a decent game in the first round. Marcelo Bielsa’s team was very close to scoring. But Liverpool won a penalty at the end of the match, which Salah converted to give the champions the first 3 points.
The hosts won the first half 3: 2, and in the second half, Leeds managed to equalize again. But still they could not get the point. The fact is that Bielsa Leeds will be an accountable force in the current Premier League season. So, it will be difficult for many clubs to score points with them.
Liverpool 4: 3 Leeds
Goals: 1: 0 Salah (Pen-4), 1: 1 Harrison (12), 2: 1 Van Dyck (20), 2: 2 Bamford (30), 3: 2 Salah (33), 3: 3 Clichy ( 66), 4: 3 Salah (Pen-88)
- Mohamed Salah managed to score the first goal of the season in Liverpool for the fourth time in a row. So far, only Teddy Sheringham has been able to do that in the Premier League.
- It was the second opening match in the Premier League’s history when five goals were scored in the first leg of the first match. A similar incident took place in August 2006 between Manchester United and Fulham – 4: 1.
- Leeds is the second team to score three goals in the first round with the champion after promotion. Hull City managed this in 2008.
- Salah is the first player of Liverpool to score a hat-trick in the first round of the Premier League.
- Liverpool have won their last 35 Premier League games when Salah managed to score.