On the second day of the Champions League playoff, Atalanta hosted Valencia at the San Siro Stadium in Milan and defeated the rival 4: 1. On the other hand, Tottenham clashed against London’s Leipzig in London and lost 0-1. Here are some interesting facts about the second game day.
Tottenham – Leipzig
- Timo Werner has scored seven goals in his Champions League career (4 this season), and the German forward has scored every goal in the opponent’s field.
- Leipzig made their CL playoff debut, celebrating their first win and keeping the net dry.
- Leipzig has a five-game unbeaten run in the Champions League.
- Tottenham have failed to score in just three of their last 30 games in the CL.
- Tottenham have lost with similar 0: 1 scoring in their last two home games in the Champions League (Ajax in 2019)
- Mourinho lost his first CL playoff for the third time on 17 occasions – Chelsea (2005/06), Real Madrid (2010/11) – in both cases losing against Barcelona
- Julian Nagelsmann, 32 years and 211 days old, become the youngest head coach to play in the Champions League playoffs (Schalke’s Domenico Tedesco occupies the second place – 33 years and 161 days old)
- Jose Mourinho ended his professional football career in 1987, the same year Julian Nagelsmann was born.
Atalanta – Valencia
- Nerazzurri made their Champions League playoff debut and won their first historic victory 4: 1.
- Atalanta scored 12 goals in CL this season – ten players showed themselves
- Josip Ilicic has scored 11 goals in his last ten games (in all tournaments)
- Valencia have never won a Champions League playoff away matches (4 draws, six losses)
- Valencia conceded four goals in the CL playoff for the second time.
- In Europe’s top 5 football leagues, Atalanta are second in goals this season – 57. (Manchester City – 65, Bayern – 55, Liverpool 54, Leicester – 52, Dortmund – 51, Leipzig – 51, Barcelona – 50, PSJ). – 50, Lazio – 46.