The Champions League is back in the playoff stage. Two matches were played on the first day: Atletico beat Liverpool (1: 0) in Madrid, and Borussia Dortmund defeated French PSG (2: 1) in Germany.
Let’s sum up some interesting facts about the first day of playoff:
Atletico – Liverpool
- Liverpool conceded Saul’s goal at the 5th minute of the match, ending a four-match series for the Reds, with the Klopp’s club not conceding a goal (1: 0 against Norwich, 4: 0 vs. Southampton, 2: 0 against West Ham, and 1: 0 vs. Shrewsbury).
- Saul scored the fifth goal of his career with the Atletico T-shirt in the Champions League playoffs. Only Antoine Griezmann has more than him (6) in the history of Real Madrid.
- Liverpool have failed to score a goal for the third time this season (against Napoli 0: 1, and against Aston Villa 0: 5)
- Liverpool’s 14-match undefeated series (13 wins, one draw) has been halted in Madrid.
- Since Diego Simeone has been appointed head coach of Atletico, the Madrid club have had the most dry wins in the Champions League – 38 (Barcelona – 36, Bayern – 36, Juventus – 34, Real Madrid – 34)
- Atletico have 13 unbeaten away games in their Champions League playoffs, having conceded just two goals.
- Atletico’s mascot is 25-year-old Saul. The Madrid club have never lost a match when Saul scores a goal (37 games, 33 wins, four draws).
- Atletico have lost only 1 of their last 26 home games.
- Liverpool only lost the third game this season (all tournaments)
- Liverpool lost their captain Jordan Henderson (injury) indefinitely
Borussia Dortmund – PSG
- Marco Verratti became the record holder for PSG in the Champions League, with 58 appearing on Italian’s account (surpassed by Paul Le Guen-57).
- Erling Haaland scored two goals against PSG. The Norwegian player is the first player in the history of the Champions League to score two goals in the course of the tournament (scoring eight goals in a Salzburg T-shirt at the group stage).
- Erling Haaland scored ten goals in his first seven Champions League games. Earlier in the tournament, the record belonged to Adriano, Sadio Mane, and Roberto Firmino – they managed ten goals in 11 matches. He is the first teenager in Champions League history to score ten goals in a single season.
- In total, Erling Haaland has scored 39 goals in 29 appearances this season.
- Neymar has scored 13 goals in the last 16 matches of the Champions League with a PSG T-shirt. He netted at least one goal in PSG’s 31 consecutive Champions League games.
- Erling Haaland has made 29 appearances this season, scoring two or more goals in 11 appearances for his clubs (Salzburg, Borussia).
- PSG players Thomas Meunier and Marco Verratti received yellow cards in the match against Borussia Dortmund, and both of them will miss the rematch due to disqualification (March 11).