Tomorrow’s match is the first serious test of Andrea Pirlo’s coaching career. Juventus started the season well, Roma – badly.
The central match of the second round of the Italian Serie A will take place in the capital, “Stadio Olimpico,” where Roma will host the current champion Juventus. The controversy between these teams has long been of particular interest, and of course, it is still so.
Juventus had a great start to the season and beat Genoa Sampdoria 3: 0. Andrea Pirlo also made his debut, and he was successful. Juve played new football, and several new faces appeared in the squad – Dejan Kulusevski, Weston McKennie, and Gianluca Frabotta. However, it will not be the same to face Roma.
After the first round, Paulo Dybala recovered, although he is not in perfect shape yet, and therefore, he will start the match from the bench. During the same period, Alvaro Morata returned to the team after 4 years, which will be the new 9 of the Turinese.
Roma started the season badly. In the first round against Verona, Paulo Fonseca’s team had many scoring moments but could not use them, and a goalless draw was recorded. However, if we look at the tournament table, there are 0 points in the assets of “Giallorossi.” Why? Amadou Diawara played against Verona, who was not included in the list, and for this reason, Roma’s technical loss was considered 0: 3. So, the Romans need to rehabilitate.
By the way, the Italian press writes that in case of a loss to Juventus, Paulo Fonseca will be released, and his replacement has already been found. It will be Massimiliano Allegri, who last worked at Juve (in May 2019).
- Roma defeated Juventus 3-1 in the penultimate round last season and now have a chance to defeat them in Serie A for the second time in a row, the first time since 1995.
- In the last ten confrontations between these teams, a draw was recorded only once (0: 0, in 2018). Roma won 4 matches, Juventus – 5.
- Juve won 2: 1 in Rome last season and have not defeated the opponent twice in a row since 2011.
- Juventus have not won their last 4 away games in Serie A and had a worse series than that only in August 2010 (7 unbeaten away games).
- Juventus-Roma have conceded more than 2.5 goals in the last five encounters. Both teams have scored in the last three matches.
- Juve and Roma have played against each other 172 times in Serie A. Juve have won 82 matches, Roma have won 41 and drawn in 49 games.