Italian top-flight delayed March 9 due to coronavirus pandemic. It was hoped that it would be clear to resume on June 13, which clubs had chosen as the return target last week.

Serie A will resume on June 14

Serie A will be left suspended until at least June 14, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) confirmed. Italian top-flight delayed March 9 due to coronavirus pandemic. It was hoped that it would be clear to resume on June 13, which clubs had chosen as the return target last week. They returned to team training on Monday after receiving permission from Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. However, on Monday, authorities said that they could now restart the league no earlier than June 15. The FIGC decision complies with the conclusion of the Italian government: the Prime Minister’s decree suspends the holding of “sports events and competitions of all kinds and disciplines, in public or private places” until June 14 as part of the “urgent measures to control the infection throughout the country.”

Only 12 weeks left before the Serie A campaign

In Italy, nearly 226,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 had been reported, resulting in more than 32,000 deaths. In Italy, 99 new deaths were recorded on Monday, the lowest daily rate since early March. While teams were returning to training this week, Parma announced on Saturday that two of their players were quarantined after testing positive for Covid-19. The next day, Inter showed that all of their players, coaches, and staff tested negatively for the virus. There are 12 weeks left before the Serie A campaign, and the reigning Juventus champions are sitting at the top of the table with one point above Lazio, while Inter are still eight points down in third place. While the season has been canceled in Belgium, the Netherlands, and France. The rest of the continent’s top divisions are hoping to find a way around the coronavirus pandemic.

The Bundesliga was the first major European league to resume when the games started on Saturday. While Serie A, the Premier League, and La Liga all work towards returning. UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin recently said he expects the rest of the season. Including the Champions League and Europa League campaigns, to be completed by August. “We have an idea, but we have to wait until the UEFA executive committee confirms the dates. I can say that the European season will be over if everything is as it is now, in August,” said Ceferin. “As it looks now, I’m sure that we can end the European season, which means UEFA competition.