As you know, the main topic of today’s football world is the new head coach of Barcelona, Quique Setien. Here are ten interesting facts about a 61-year-old specialist:
- Setien has taken the first steps of his career in beach football. In 1996 he was even invited to the Spanish national team.
- In Santander, Quique Setien is called a “Master.” Interestingly, he spent 12 years (player + coach) at Racing and became a fan favorite. He led the team to the first division in the 2002/03 season and fulfilled his fans’ dream.
- After Enrique Orissaola (1961) and Lauriano Ruiz (1976), Setien is the first Cantabrian coach to play for Barcelona.
- As a player, Quique has faced the Blaugrana 22 times. His balance is as follows: five wins, five draws, and 12 losses. Besides, Setien has taken the Blue Pomegranate twice in his career.
- As a coach, he has even worse results – 6 defeats and 1 win. However, it was the only win at Camp Nou, where Betis won a seven-goal thriller – 3: 4.
- Quique has trained players from La Masia (young cules) as well: Marc Bartra, Alen Halilovic, Cristian Tello, Wilfred Kaptoum, Antonio Sanabria, and Ronald Araujo.
- He is very fond of Barcelona’s Argentinean megastar Lionel Messi. “To see Messi on the pitch is a great treasure. He is the best in history.” – These words belong to Setien.
- After losing a match at Camp Nou, Sergio Busquets gifted his t-shirt to Quique with the inscription: “To Quique, whose football vision I admire, hugs!”
- One of Setien’s most important hobbies is chess. He even has played a chess game with former world champion Karpov.
- Quique’s 24-year-old son, Laro Setien, plays for Barca’s farm-club Sant Andreu, which competes in the Third Division.
Click here To Stay Updated With The Latest Football News and Update